Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right - Thomas Frank Three and a half stars.

Frank makes some good points, but I wish it were a little bit more well-documented and a bit less sardonic.

I've not yet read [b:What's the Matter With Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America|54666|What's the Matter With Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America|Thomas Frank|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344316130s/54666.jpg|74517], but have read several reviews that mention his incredulity at Kansans' credulity. That same sense of "can you believe these idiots?" runs through this book, as well. That, along with the repeated attacks on Glenn Beck (deserving though they may be), cause this book to veer a bit too much (IMO) toward the personal rant rather than rational analysis.

Which isn't to say that outrage and ranting isn't called for. It definitely is, and Frank even points out the folly in Democrats' continued reliance on reason in the face of heated, emotionally charged protests by Tea Partiers. But if he's going to preach to the choir, and the choir speaks the language of reason rather than emotion, shouldn't his call to action use that language?

To be fair, he doesn't have much of a call to action. The book mostly left me feeling pretty depressed in that regard. And he hasn't tried to produce something other than a sardonic look at the Tea Party. I just wish that he had.