Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief - Lawrence Wright This is really scary.

Wright's book seems as balanced as possible. And by that I mean that anything negative about the church will be aggressively denied, and people who speak against the church will be hounded and sued. So it can be difficult to write anything that isn't glowingly positive. As a result, what you read about the church is going to be either very positive or very negative. This book falls into the negative category, while not going into the "they're flipping madmen! Stay away!" hysteria.

L. Ron Hubbard was a paranoid, narcissistic crazy person. His successor, David Miscavige, is a scary psychopath. They've created an incredibly powerful and extremely wealthy organization. You should be very scared.

Part of me appreciated Wright's efforts to tell us about Scientology. The book doesn't come across as an exposé. It comes across as an attempt to tell the story about the history, development, and current state of the church.

The other part of me was horrified and hated the story (but not the book). I think the book is important and worth reading - the more we know about Scientology, the better. Seriously - they're having a major impact on legislation especially tax laws. But it's not for the faint hearted. As LRH and Tom Cruise would say, this will blow your mind.