The Redbreast: A Novel - Don Bartlett, Jo Nesbø I am falling madly in love with this series. Fortunately I don't feel the need to consume the entire series all at once, as with Harry Potter or Steig Larsson or [a:Jasper Fforde|4432|Jasper Fforde|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1350497674p2/4432.jpg]. The Harry Hole series is one to savor.

I'm kicking myself for reading these out of order. Unfortunately the first book in the series still hasn't been published in the U.S., so it's actually impossible to read the entire series in order, but after reading #3, I've got a near-irrepressible urge to go back and read those I've already read (#5 and #7). I may have to re-read the entire series once The Bat is published in English.

This book has a lot of characters to keep track of, and two different timelines/settings. After reading other folks' reviews, I understand how this might be problematic for some people. I didn't have a problem with it (much). Keeping a list of characters and relationships wouldn't hurt, though.

As I was reading this, the phrase "well-paced" kept coming to mind. Often we describe books as "taut" or "fast-paced" or "hard to put down". In my review for [b:The Snowman|9572203|The Snowman (Harry Hole, #7)|Jo Nesbø|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1355881478s/9572203.jpg|2697052] I used the phrase "edge-of-your-seat." This book, though, I would describe as being exceptionally well-paced. Slow when it needs to be, building in speed and tension when appropriate.

The protagonist of this series, Harry Hole, is deeply faulted. He can be really unlikeable, and I certainly understand why people would give up on this series. Reading several books, though, gives us a finely nuanced picture of a really well-crafted character. Troubled police officers or investigators are pretty much a cliche in the mystery/crime genre, but Nesbø makes Harry seem sui generis.

Now on to #4, [b:Nemesis|3522419|Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4)|Jo Nesbø|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327312660s/3522419.jpg|3023538].